Search for the Optimal Model of the Municipal Institutional Structure
Keywords:local authority, institutions of local government, institutional structure of local government.
This article is aimed at providing information on different possible models of the institutional structure that
could be applied in municipalities as well as the models that have already been applied in the municipalities of
Lithuania since the re-establishment of the independent state on March 11, 1990 and thus to create assumptions for
the selection of the most suitable model of the institutional structure for Lithuanian municipalities at the current
The main goal is being sought by:
1. Clearly defining and explaining the conceptions of the municipal institutional structure and the principle
model of institutional structure.
2. Indicating the principal-classic models of the municipal institutional structure as well as the reasons why
certain models of principal-derivative municipal institutional structure are applied in separate countries.
3. Pointing out the principle grouping (arrangement) versions of the principal (classic and derivative) models
of the municipal institutional structure according to the criteria chosen.
4. Introducing all the models of the municipal institutional structure that have been applied in Lithuania since
March 11, 1990 as well as briefly describing them.
5. Submitting the proposals concerning possible models of the municipal institutional structure that could be